How do I request a copy of my medical records?

In order for us to release your information, you must first call (775) 445-8568.

How do I schedule a procedure?

Please contact Centralized Scheduling at (775) 445-5500.

How do I find a physician?

You may view our online physician directory or you may call a health navigator at (775) 445-5168.

Who can I see when I need care right away?

When you need urgent medical attention, you may ask yourself where the nearest clinic is, is it backed by Carson Tahoe Health, do I have any other health issues that may complicate my treatment, what are the hours of operation, and what are my payment options? Some walk-in options include, Urgent Care, Emergent Care, and 24-hour Emergency Care.

How do I find a patient?

You may call (775) 445-8000 to see if a patient is admitted to Carson Tahoe Regional Medical Center and find out what room they are in. Carson Tahoe Continuing Care Patients for long term, acute care can call (775) 445-7450 and Sierra Surgery Patients can call (775) 445-6471.

Are physician’s charges incorporated in the hospital bill?

No, physicians are NOT employees of the hospital and deliver independent services, including but not limited to: emergency or urgent care, obstetrics and gynecology, pathology, radiology, anesthesiology and surgery. The physician charge is for their time, evaluation, consultation, and treatment. The hospital charge is for the place of service, supplies, medications, and tests.

Since every insurance plan is different, it is very important to check your coverage and ask questions. You can contact your insurance plan directly, or contact your employer for more information. Please contact the physician’s private office with questions about their bills.

How do I pay my bill?

For billing information, you may visit Patient Financial Services at 775 Fleischmann Ave, Carson City, NV 89703, call (775) 445-7551, or pay your bill online by clicking here.

Can I have my baby at a different hospital than the one my obstetrician (OB) has admitting privileges at?

No. OBs only have “admitting privileges” at certain hospitals.“Admitting privileges” means the hospital or other treatment facility that a healthcare provider is affiliated with and where he or she can admit patients. The hospital that your OB/GYN is affiliated with is also the hospital where you’ll be delivering your baby.

What is a Baby-Friendly Hospital Designation and what does it mean to me and my baby?

Rooming-in – The biggest difference is that from the time of birth, you will remain with your baby in the same room 24 hours a day. Another difference is we facilitate immediate skin-to-skin contact between mother and child to promote bonding and other health advantages. We promote breastfeeding first since it is essential for babies to receive immunizations and other health benefits. Learn more here about Nevada's Baby-Friendly Hospital Designation

Why do I have to wait so long at the E.R.?

The average wait time in the ER is anywhere from 1-12 hours. The reason for long wait times at ERs throughout the country is because they tend to be overcrowded. Overcrowding is partly due to the decreasing number of emergency departments, lack of insurance, and limited primary physician care. However, the biggest cause of overcrowding/longer wait times at the ER is the people who go to the E.R. to receive care for non-emergency issues. Remember that patients in the ER are triaged: Sicker or more seriously injured people get seen first. Some health systems, including Carson Tahoe, offer four basic levels of care outside of your primary care physician: 1. Walk-in Clinics 2. Urgent Care Clinics 3. Emergent Care 4. Emergency Services. By considering location, cost and severity of the care needed you will be able to determine what healthcare setting has the providers and technology that best suits your illness or injury in the most cost-effective and timely manner. Find out which level of care is right for you by clicking here.

Why don’t I see my primary care doctor while I’m staying in the hospital?

When you are admitted into the hospital, you receive treatment by a Hospitalist.  A Hospitalist is a doctor who specializes in the care of patients in the hospital.  Hospitalists have completed the same schooling and training as primary care physicians – the only difference is that they treat patients inside the hospital. Hospitalists work closely with your primary care physician, emergency department physicians, and/or specialists to provide a seamless transition, from admission to discharge and outpatient follow-up. Carson Tahoe Health has numerous hospitalists on staff to care for patients staying in the hospital.

If I’m a Medicare patient who has gone through the ER and am staying in the hospital, am I automatically considered an “inpatient?”

According to the 2014 Official U.S. Government Medicare Handbook published by the Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services (CMS), Staying in a hospital doesn’t always mean you’re an inpatient. You only become an inpatient when a hospital formally admits you as an inpatient, after a doctor orders it. You’re still an outpatient if you’ve not been formally admitted as an inpatient, even if you’re getting emergency department services, observation services, outpatient surgery, lab tests, or X-rays. You or a family member should always ask if you’re an inpatient or an outpatient each day during your stay, since it affects how much you are covered for, how much you pay and whether you’ll qualify for Part A coverage in a skilled nursing facility.”

What is an “Advance Directive” and do I need one?

An Advance Directive is a written statement that you complete in advance of serious illness about how you want medical decisions to be made. The two most common types of Advance Directive are a “Living Will” and a “Durable Power of Attorney for Health Care.” You are not legally required to have an Advance Directive, however, because unexpected situations can happen at any age, all adults should have an Advance Directive. Anyone age 18 or older can create their own Advance Directive. Learn more about Advance Directives..

What does an “accredited provider” mean and why does it matter?

Accreditation means that the health provider goes above and beyond safety and quality standards and should always be sought when seeking treatment. Carson Tahoe is accredited through Center for Improvement in Healthcare Quality (CIHQ), the Commission on Cancer, and the American Association of Cardiovascular and Pulmonary Rehabilitation, among others. The standards focus on setting expectations for an organization’s actual performance and for assessing its ability to provide safe, high quality care. CIHQ accreditation is well known as the benchmark for quality in patient care. Carson Tahoe has also set the standards by being the only Gold Level Accredited Cancer Center in Nevada.

What does being a not-for-profit 501(c)(3) corporation mean?

Any money earned beyond our operational expenses is reinvested back into Carson Tahoe’s system of care. This ensures that we are able to provide the latest technology and most advanced medical treatment for years to come. Donations to the CTH Foundation are tax-deductible according to the maximum amount allowed by law for a 501(c)(3) not-for-profit organization. To learn more about donation opportunities, you can call the Carson Tahoe Health Foundation office at (775) 445-5161 or visit the Foundation here.